Is Daily Rate Important?
If you hire a developer who works solely on daily rates, you can never know how long the entire development process will take. A professional web designer will provide you with a full plan of works on different aspects like coding, design, implementation, etc. and a cost estimate based on the daily rates. Daily rates are convenient if the requirements for the software need to be changed for some reason, because you will know the approximate basis to calculate the cost for additional development time.
How to Spot an Inexperienced Developer?
To add more, you never know how much work will the developers accomplish within the given period of time - every team has its own pace, which depends on the skills, talent and experience of the specialists. This is another reason to demand a comprehensive plan and quotation from the developer. On the other hand, there is a risk that an inexperienced developer will provide you with an over-optimistic plan. Therefore, make sure that you keep in line with the process and track the developer’s progress with the project. Ask the developer to keep you informed and provide you with regular reports on their achievements. If you see that the developers fails to follow the plan and lags behind, it is a red flag that the team does not have enough expertise to meet the deadline and deliver a quality product.
App Development Risk Factors
Here is a list of factors to pay attention to because they can significantly increase development costs:
- Designs not optimised for mobile. Design that does not fit into your brand;
- Developers working offshore;
- Additional work due to the failure to meet the requirements or other issues;
- Poor client communication and project managements;
- Starting the project all over with another developer because of the bad previous choice.
The Internet of Things
The majority of IoT devices can be controlled via smartphone apps or browsers. However, application is viewed as the most convenient and efficient way to control such devices because they provide for a better user experience, and allow you to store and analyse large amounts of data. So it is most likely that in the future apps will change their purpose from being free-standing tools for entertainment, lifestyle and productivity to being mediators between the users and more powerful IoT devices.
Smartphone and Tablet App Design
Have you found the develop you were looking for? Then it is time to choose the platforms and devices you will design your program for. It is a good idea to create a digital product that is compatible with both tablets and smartphones, but you should be aware of the differences in usage and design of these two types of mobile devices. Instead of optimising the images to suit a larger screen of the tablet,you should think of making the app more tablet-friendly on the deeper level of UX and UI design.
Tablet Design Tips
Here are some tips about tablet app design that our expert designers would like to share with you:
- Think through about whether your business really needs an application. Statistics shows that tablet users prefer web browsing to application usage. On the other hands, people love smartphone apps because browsing the web is les convenient on smaller screens, while apps present the information in a more readable way, and offer a quick and easy functionality. Tablets lack this advantage in many ways. If you are absolutely sure that a tablet app is a must - then be ready to invest much more effort into app design.
- Tablets are often shared devices, used within a family or a couple. Therefore, you need to ensure that the functionality supports multiple users, for instance, that it is easy to switch between accounts.
- Decide what your expectations about the tablet are. Maybe it will be better to just use your smartphone app, displaying it on the tablet as it is, if you target at the low end of the market.
- If your program has some functionality that needs mobile phone network connection like SMS messages, phone calls and so on, you will need to entirely modify it, because many tablets can be connected to the internet via Wi-Fi only.
- Tablet is mainly used as a supplement to a smartphone. So it is a good idea to consider options for synchronizing the data stored on the two devices.
Optimise Your Website For Mobile Phones
Another valuable advice from our developers - if you decide that you do not need an app of any kind because a website will cover your needs, take time to design it well. Mobile-friendliness is a must in the modern world where mobile phone usage has exceeded desktop usage, and it is really irritating when you access one website after another that fails to work properly on a tablet or a smartphone. Quality is what matters, you can keep everything basic, but make it usable. And the most important thing - work with professional team to get your awesome app and rise your business to the next level of success.